Ice Dam Removal
Ice dams are ridges of ice that form at the edge of a roof and prevent melting snow (water) from draining. The water that backs up behind this “dam” can leak into your building and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation and other areas. Additionally, when the roof doesn’t drain properly, snow, ice and water remains trapped, adding loads that put your roof at greater risk.
There are a few things you can do to try and prevent the formation of ice dams on the roof of your commercial building:
- Increase the insulation above the ceilings of your building.
- Get a professional to do periodic roof drainage inspections.
- Install self-regulating heating cables on gutters, downspouts, and around roof drains.
- Keep all drains, scuppers, gutters and downspouts free of debris and vegetation.
- Prune trees that may hang over the roof to prevent an accumulation of tree leaves and branches that may clog or slow roof drainage.
- Improve ventilation and consider installing electric power vents with thermostats.
Removal of ice dams is critical, but also a job that needs to be handled by trained professionals to avoid damage to the roof, particularly in frigid conditions. Our team is experienced and knowledgeable in the safe removal of ice dams to protect your property and your investment.